[geomesa-users] Branching Model + listserv

Since we're talking about releases...I was wondering what people thought about changing out branching model to create a maintenance branch for the 1.2.x series and then bump master to 1.3.0 for new features. For example, new datastores like dynamo or the native API would go onto the 1.3 master and we'd fixate things at 1.2.x and actually follow the semantic versioning guidelines since technically 1.2.1 and 1.2.2, etc should only be bug fixes.

The ideal goal is to have all 1.2.x clients work with 1.2.x server iterators and plugins. Granted thats tough, but as we mature I think its a good goal. Accumulo guarantees that the 1.6.x series are all binary compatible with each other (and also don't introduce any breaking changes on the server side) so you're original client at 1.6.0 works with a 1.6.5 cluster.

Also, do we have a geomesa-dev listserv and archives? We should probably try to keep technical discussion on there as much as possible to show that we are active on the user lists and discussion forums as an open source project! Granted many devs are at CCRI, but the LT listserv should be more visible to people who are interested in the project. Also, since many clients are internal to CCRI it means that bugs and questions will be googleable(?) assuming we have a good crawlable(?) archive.

Any thoughts?

Andrew

Back to the top