Re: [geomesa-users] Overview of technical features needed

Hi Kurt,

Most our of features are documented on geomesa.org.

Yes, GeoMesa works with OGC's Simple Feature model that GeoTools implements.  GeoServer can use OGC Style Layer Descriptors (SLDs) to style data stored in GeoMesa.  I'm unfamiliar with the details of ISO 19107; I'd suggest reading through http://docs.geotools.org/latest/userguide/library/opengis/geometry.html.

For our Spark support, the usual connection parameters and a CQL filter would define a subset of the features stored in a GeoMesa layer.  At that point, what you want to do with a collection of Simple Features is up to you!  In terms of any computation geometry one may wish to do on the JVM, we leverage JTS, and I'd recommend it.

If you have a PostgreSQL server, I'd suggest installing PostGIS and trying it out.  From there, you can use GeoTools to create and access DataStores and FeatureStores which are backed by PostGIS.  If you work at that level, upgrading/switching from PostGIS to GeoMesa would require configuration changes in that you would change the connection parameters given to the DataStoreFinder.  (The code changes are simple; deploying a cloud with a Hadoop stack can be challenging.)

Thanks again for the questions!

Jim