[geomesa-users] GeoMesa deprecations before GeoMesa 3.0

Hi all,

The GeoMesa team is working on GeoMesa 3.0.  Some of the most exciting work is focused on support for Accumulo 2.x and HBase 2.x.  A group of us has been hammering away at improving GeoMesa's HBase performance and I'm looking forward to all that work landing in some releases for everyone to try out!

Due to the complexity of updating code for two distributed databases, we aren't ready to commit to a specific release yet. As we move towards GeoMesa's third major release, I do want to communicate more about what is happening so we can increase opportunities for community involvement.

From Gitter, one of the places where users are most eager is around functionality in PySpark.  If there are folks who are interested in contributing here by improving docs, add Python bindings, or test, let me know.  I'm hopeful that a small effort from some Python experts will level up everyone's ability to use GeoMesa with PySpark.

Another part of a major version upgrade is deprecating modules, classes, and methods.

The big things which are gone are

1. GeoMesa's Accumulo-based raster support
2. GeoMesa's 'Native' API (used by Accumulo and HBase)[1]

There are some smaller modules of note:

geomesa-accumulo/geomesa-accumulo-compute
geomesa-accumulo/geomesa-accumulo-security
geomesa-accumulo/geomesa-accumulo-stats-gs-plugin
geomesa-convert/geomesa-convert-scripting
geomesa-convert/geomesa-convert-simplefeature
geomesa-metrics
geomesa-web/geomesa-web-data

The rest of the classes and methods can be read here: https://github.com/locationtech/geomesa/pull/2470

If you have any questions about the removed code, let me know soon!  We have options for maintaining the features in GeoMesa or a GeoMesa community module.  Many of these features were experimental and haven't seen much use.

If aren't already on Gitter, you can join us there at https://gitter.im/locationtech/geomesa. Thanks for using GeoMesa!

Cheers,

Jim

1. Commit removing Accumulo-raster support and Accumulo's Native API: https://github.com/locationtech/geomesa/commit/2d22ddcea18df77a08a814c632b12a700c513c92