Re: [geomesa-users] how do you upgrade the catalog if you are upgrading geomesa versions

If you're hitting oddities, in almost every case it won't actually corrupt your data. The best thing to do is try to ensure that all of your geomesa jars are installed correctly and match versions across your whole environment (ingest/accumulo/geoserver/etc). The migration job isn't likely to help in this case.

When running the migration job, usually the easiest thing is to point it at a different table with the same simple feature type name. Then, once you've verified that the migration works, you can just archive the old tables (by renaming and offlining it) and then rename the new tables back to the old ones. One note: if you rename any of the non-catalog tables, you'll have to update the appropriate metadata entry by hand to point to the correct table. You can do all that through the accumulo shell.

For adding attributes, you can manually update the schema string in the metadata as you say. You need to ensure that the new attributes are *after* any existing attributes. We don't support removing attributes.

There is no problem with using a single catalog table for multiple feature types. By default they will share most of the same tables (the exception is the z3 table). Even if you share a catalog table, you can use separate data tables by setting the 'geomesa.table.sharing' user data in your simple feature type user data to the string 'false'. The only downside to sharing tables is storing an extra byte per row of data - for large-scale applications this is sometimes undesirable.

There is no easy way that I know of to merge tables in accumulo - but even if you could, certain meta-data is calculated per-catalog-table, so merging multiple existing catalogs would cause conflicts.

Thanks,

Emilio