Re: [geomesa-users] getting started

Hi Paul,

Our quickstart guide lists the versions we have best tested with.  Hadoop and Accumulo are broadly compatible across their minor versions (i.e., Accumulo 1.6.x should be binary compatible).  If you have a cloud, my suggestion is to pick out the versions* that exist there, and sub those into the root GeoMesa pom.xml and build from there.

GeoTools and GeoServer versions are a little more sensitive.  The two projects release together, so GeoTools 11.2 'goes with' GeoServer 2.5.2.  In GeoMesa 1.2.x, we'll be using GeoTools 14.1 and GeoServer 2.8.1.**

If you build GeoMesa with your custom versions, the unit tests passing should give you some confidence.  If you hit failures, if you report the set of dependencies you tried and we'll help support.  Note that different versions of Accumulo are handled with different profiles.

I hope that helps; let us know how things work for you!

Jim

* NB: If you are using Cloudera or Hortonworks, they do provide particular versions of Hadoop and Accumulo.  You can start with just the Apache version and fuss with the finer details if issues arise.

** You may be able to mix and match; i.e., if you use GeoServer 2.8.2 with GeoMesa 1.2.x, things will probably work.  If you try that out and have issues, feel free to report them.  CCRi is active in the GeoTools/GeoServer community, so we can help identify and fix issues.