Re: [jts-dev] Struggling with polygon topology again. Overlapping inner polygons.

Also see the FAQ entry G1:  http://tsusiatsoftware.net/jts/jts-faq/jts-faq.html

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 6:11 PM, Martin Davis <mtnclimb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In TestBuilder are you working with LinearRings or Polygons? If you are using rings then yes, subtracting one ring from another outside it is just going to return the outer ring.  (Rings don't have area).

When I subtract the first hole polygon from the shell polygon I get a polygon with one hole, as expected.  I'm not sure why the original code doesn't work, however.  Probably something obvious that neither of us is seeing.  Are the intermediate results at all correct?

One reason to avoid using difference for this is that it's a slow operation, and also subject to robustness issues.

Another way to do this is to form the polygon with the holes (which will be invalid), and then run buffer(0) on it. That has the effect of fixing the topology.  It's quite fast.  Not 100% robust, but should be fine if the polygon geometry is "relatively clean" (which is hard to define more precisely!)