Re: [geomesa-users] 3d pointclouds

Hi Tim, Kris,

We can definitely keep the conversation public.

On the topic of indexing, I'd note a few  things:  First, many distributed multidimensional data storage and processing engines are using space-filling curves.  Because there is still some research and development to optimize strategies and implementations, we started the SFCurve project (https://github.com/locationtech/sfcurve/) with the GeoTrellis team.  Currently, there are 2 and 3 dimensional implementations of a Z-order curve.  Cooking up a 4-dimensional Z-order curve would straightforward.  Alternatively,  one could use the Uzaygezen library (1) which implements arbitrary dimension compact Hilbert curves.

I'd note that one doesn't necessarily require an index for all the fields you might query against.  As a concrete example, querying a spatio-temporal index without a time bound requires a dramatic increase in the number of ranges scanned.  If there are common access patterns for LIDAR where one queries by geo-extent only, then a single 4d index would perform poorly.

There are two main ways to address this issue: first, one could create multiple indices for the different query patterns.  For certain data sizes or query response constraints, this may make sense.  In fact, that's pretty typical for how GeoMesa handles vector data.  There are optimized tables which can address spatio-temporal, spatio-only, attribute, and record queries.  From chatting with pointcloud folks, it sounds like they have so much data that indexing it several times over is either prohibitive or otherwise undesirable.

The second approach would be to be to craft an index which compromises between various query types.  This is where there's a little research to sort out; a few of us have worked out the basic details about composing space-filling curves.  That technology *should* be great for a case like this, but we need to find the time (and funding) to work out an implementation, run some experiments, write up the results, and advertise them...

Anyhow, I hope that helps give some idea of that state of things; it's going to be exciting to see the pointcloud side of FOSS4G software develop!

Cheers,

Jim

1.  https://github.com/aioaneid/uzaygezen