Re: [geomesa-users] Collision detection in large regions

Hi Eric,

If your only need is to batch-analyze your data, then I'd say you might have a fair point. I think there's a good chance that a Spark implementation of the algorithm would be pretty straightforward and be a little quicker than a map-reduce implementation.

One benefit to using GeoMesa is that the RDD creation function does take a filter. Using that, the code could be run on subsets of your data. If this is a streaming problem, the GeoMesa KafkaDataStore may be useful in a number of ways.

Since this problem comes up fairly routinely, I'd be interested in seeing the algorithm coded up in GeoMesa so that the business logic bit could be dropped in quickly. At the minute, that's a backburner idea though.

Cheers,

Jim